Psst. Hey, you there! Are you searching for a free grammar and punctuation checking tool? If so, you've come to the right place.
The quality of your writing should be impeccable regardless of whether you write regularly or once in a blue moon. Your writing reflects who you are as a character.
While your content and style are entirely up to you, grammar and punctuation, on the other hand, are a different story. It isn't something you can bend or change. You must follow definite rules, some of which aren't always obvious.
Additionally, it's easy to make mistakes, which makes autocorrecting a convenient feature. Fortunately, some of the grammar and punctuation checkers on this list can be used to correct errors on the fly!
Expand Upfront Bottom Line
As this is quite an exhaustive list, many of the tools on this list are pretty rudimentary and obsolete. Some are riddled with ads, and others lack many basic features.
After testing and comparing all of the most popular grammar checking tools, Grammarly is my favorite writing tool by far and is one of the best values out there.
I don't usually recommend mainstream services because there is usually a better and lesser-known alternative; however, with Grammarly, it's easy to see why they're one of the most popular writing aids.
Now, if you're ready to take your content writing to the next level, let's begin.
Key Writing Aid Features
The following tools are highly recommended, even if you are a native English speaker. You can find plenty of grammar checkers and punctuation correctors for free. You should consider a few things when choosing the best one for you.
- Key Features: Check if all the essential features are provided. Standard features include grammar, readability, clarity, punctuation, spelling corrections, and suggestions.
- Accuracy: Different tools have varying levels of accuracy. Therefore, it is necessary to use a tool with a higher level of accuracy. Fortunately, each of the tools listed here has good accuracy.
- Ease of use: Choose a tool that you are comfortable using and easy to use when working or writing.
- Premium Features: You may decide to upgrade to the premium version in the future. You'll want to check if it offers premium features and note what is available.
- Integration: It is crucial to select a writing tool that works on the platforms you use when writing, such as Microsoft Word, Gmail, Slack, etc.
21 Top Writing Aids
Listed below are 21 free grammar and punctuation checkers and correctors.
Review the descriptions and features of each one to decide which one is the best. Also mentioned are the pricing plans of the freemium (both free and paid) tools.
Alright, enough blabber, let's dig in.
There are many grammar checkers online, but Grammarly is one of the most popular and widely used. Its AI-powered writing assistant offers bold, accurate, and error-free writing suggestions. Furthermore, it is fast, precise, and easy to use.
You will receive comprehensive suggestions regarding your grammar, spelling, style, and tone to improve in those four areas.
Grammarly also determines whether you have used incorrect words in your writing and how to use them better. Grammarly, therefore, allows you to communicate effectively per your intentions.
I use Grammarly myself, and I always highly recommend it to other bloggers, students, and co-workers (the extension is a godsend for emails).
- Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari, and more work with Grammarly's browser extensions.
- Provides suggestions if you're composing an app, a document, a message, an email, or a social media post. It can also be used in WordPress posts (like this one).
- Works for both Windows and Mac desktop applications.
- Features a tone detector that recognizes the tone of your texts. You can select formal, curious, sad, informal, and optimistic.
- An iOS and Android mobile app are available.
- Provides a plagiarism checker that ensures that your submitted text is original (one of my favorite features).
You can use Grammarly for free to check your writing for grammar and punctuation, but they have a paid version that comes with more advanced features.
Individuals can use Grammarly's free version to get basic writing suggestions about spelling, grammar, and punctuation. In contrast, the premium version offers formality level, word choice, and other more advanced suggestions.
The premium version is available in two pricing plans.
- Premium: $12/mo.
- Business (teams): $12.50/mo.
- Spelling and punctuation consistency corrector
- Fluency corrector
- Full clarity-focused sentence rewrites
- Automatic formatting rewrites
- Compelling vocabulary suggestions
- Lively sentence variety suggestions
- Suggestions for more confident writing
- Suggestions for increased politeness
- Suggestions for political correctness
- Formality corrector
- Plagiarism detection
- All Premium features
- Style guide
- Reusable snippets
- Brand tones
- Analytics dashboard
- Priority email support
- Account roles and permissions
The Hemingway Editor is also helpful for writers looking to improve their skills. The tool aims to create clearer, more engaging, and more concise sentences. Therefore, it's not just a grammar and punctuation checker but a writing style checker.
The first step is to enter your text or paste it into the tool. You'll see two labels: ‘hard to read' and ‘very hard to read.' Thus, you can create a simple sentence that is bold and clear for the reader.
- Advises not to use passive voice, complex words, and overuse of adverbs.
- Shows an alert when you write a complex or challenging sentence.
- There are no word limits, making it ideal for book writers.
- Displays the Readability Grade Level of your text from the Automated Readability Index.
- On Mac and Windows, you can edit content offline.
- With the desktop app, you can publish your writing as a draft or live post directly to WordPress and Medium.
While you can get started free, the desktop application costs $19.99.
You can edit your writing, check your grammar, and get writing mentoring for free on ProWritingAid.com. It's used by 2 million+ authors, students, editors, copywriters, and professionals. You can use it for whatever kind of writing you're doing, whether creative, business, or academic.
Additionally, it offers grammar and style suggestions with thousands of rules to cover all your writing grammar and style improvements. It's essentially a guide on how to dramatically improve your writing.
- A guide to strengthening your writing, with 20 in-depth reports. Examples include variations in sentence length, passive voices, repetition, etc.
- The site offers interactive suggestions, explanations, videos, articles, and quizzes to help you improve your writing skills.
- Finding the right words is easy with Word Explorer and contextual thesaurus.
- You can edit your document no matter where you write it: Word, Outlook, Google Docs, Open Office, etc.
- Extensions are available for Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Increase consistency by creating your own style guide and dictionary with your team.
Similarly, it is freemium; to use the free version, you must register and log in. There are three separate pricing plans for the paid version.
- Monthly Subscription: $20/mo.
- Yearly Subscription: $79 or $6.58/mo.
- Lifetime: $399 one-time only
Check out Ginger if you're looking for software that fixes more than just grammar and spelling. The program has an essay checker and a proofreading service. You can quickly fix all common writing mistakes with just a click.
Additionally, you can improve your writing within any device, tool, or website, like WordPress, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. A desktop application is also available for Mac and Windows users. And on top of that, there's even a mobile app on Android and iOS.
- The sentence rephrase option reduces the length of your wordy sentences. Your message will now be more concise.
- You can get multiple synonyms of any word by double-clicking on it. Choose the one that best expresses your meaning.
- 40+ languages supported. Using various languages is easy.
- 5x more errors are checked and corrected by Microsoft Word add-in. It also works 5x faster.
You can use the free version online since it is a freemium tool. There are three different pricing options for those interested in upgrading to the pro version.
- Monthly: $13.99/mo.
- Annual: $89.88/yr.
- Two Years: $167.76
LanguageTool is an online grammar, style, and spell checker service available in multiple languages. A multilingual editor, proofreader, and Writer may find it helpful since it supports more than 20 languages, such as Chinese, French, Italian, Spanish, etc.
With LanguageTool, you can add your frequently used words that may not be in a traditional dictionary. So, those words will be excluded for spelling or grammar checks.
- The appearance can be dark or light, depending on your preference.
- Ranks the quality of your texts to help you improve them.
- Texts and writings are securely stored in the tool.
- It can be installed locally or in the Cloud by anyone.
- Add-on for correcting your errors in Google Docs and Microsoft Word documents.
You can check up to 10,000 characters per text with this grammar and punctuation checker for free.
Or choose between one of the two pricing plans based on the number of users to get premium features.
- Individual: $19.99/mo. or $13.99/mo. (billed quarterly) or $4.99/mo. (billed yearly) or $4.13/mo. (billed every two years).
- Teams: Starts at $8.99/mo. (2 users) for annual payment (only).
- Enhanced punctuation, grammar, and style checker.
- Up to 100,000 characters per text field.
- Suggestions to improve tone and style.
- Add-on for Microsoft Word & Google Docs.
- Detect incorrect names and titles in emails.
- Detect incorrect numbers (e.g., IBAN, ISBN, …).
English writing assistant built with a sophisticated AI engine, Linguix is a free grammar and punctuation checker and corrector. With it, you can find and correct mistakes while you are writing. You will improve your writing in all aspects as a result.
As a matter of fact, there are 3000 AI-based corrections, 700+ advanced checks, and 9 million common typos checked in the database.
- This tool contains more than 2000 context-sensitive rules and 1700 patterns to check and correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.
- Use its paraphrasing tool to enhance and rewrite your sentences.
- With this program, your writing will be checked for plagiarism, and citations will be added so that you can give credit to other people.
- Automation of typing tasks can be achieved by using shortcuts. Thanks to the new one-word shortcuts, longer texts can be created faster.
- Provides you with reports according to your progress. Based on those, you can identify which aspects you should focus on.
Check grammar, spelling, and punctuation for free by signing up online. If you want the premium version, you can choose between two plans.
- Premium: $14.99/mo. or $96 annualy ($8/mo.).
- Team: Contact them to find out.
Writing teams can use Writer as an all-in-one AI (Artificial Intelligence) assistant. Its primary purpose is to document writing guidelines that adhere to your unique brand's style, terminology, and tone. A generous free 30-day trial is available for those interested in the business writing features.
However, it has free grammar and punctuation checkers too. By using this tool, you'll be able to create clear, understandable, and error-free texts, as it can identify every type of punctuation, spelling, and grammatical error in your document.
- Your text can be proofread with a click to fix the style and tone.
- Choose from a variety of word choices and terminology options. As a result, you can choose the appropriate word to convey your message.
- A plagiarism checker is included to ensure that your content is not plagiarized by scanning your texts.
- With an extension for Chrome, it is possible to write error-free content.
- The enterprise-grade security and privacy features ensure your data is protected no matter where you write.
For those who find these free features inadequate, you can upgrade to the paid version by choosing one of their three plans as outlined below:
- Pro: $11/mo. (billed monthly) or $99/yr. (billed yearly).
- Team: $18/mo. (billed monthly) or $162/yr. (billed yearly).
- Enterprise: Contact to find out.
- Plagiarism checker
- Clarity checker
- Delivery checker
- Inclusivity checker
- Snippets tool
- Writing style configuration
- Google and Okta single sign-on
- Terminology management
- Styleguide documentation site
- Team roles and permissions
- Team Snippets
- Quality report
- Multiplayer mode – share and compare scores
As the name implies, Readable will help you make your writing more engaging and easier to read. This tool can check your writing for readability, grammar, and spelling. This tool will then show you where you can improve your writing.
Additionally, you can integrate its powerful functionality into your own Content Management System or other software. Besides improving your writing on documents and spreadsheets, you can also sharpen your skills on services like Slack or Dropbox.
- Give your writing a readability score.
- Tracking keyword density in your content. Keeping your content on topic helps search engines find your content.
- Checks adverbs, passive voice usage, and grammar and spelling.
- Maintain consistency in your writing by monitoring the tone and sentiment of your content.
- Thousands of automated tests verify that the readability algorithms are accurate and trustworthy.
You can purchase ReadablePro to gain access to more exclusive features. There are three different pricing plans available.
- ContentPro: $8/mo. for one user (billed monthly) or $4/mo. for one user (billed yearly).
- CommercePro: $48/mo. (billed monthly) or $24/mo. (billed yearly).
- AgencyPro: $138/mo. (billed monthly) or $69/mo. (billed yearly).
- Unlimited Alerts
- Website Scoring
- Branded Reports
- Dropbox integration
- Slack integration
- Readability API
With Quillbot, you can easily rewrite sentences, check your grammar, or summarize lengthy content using the summarizer tool.
- Free grammar checker with a simple text editor.
- Chrome extension with paraphraser, summarizer, and grammar checking.
- Built-in plagiarism checker. Useful for content rewriting.
- Content summarizer for summarizing lengthy texts.
- Has a citation generator that is handy for students.
Premium: $19.99/mo (billed monthly), or $13.33/mo. (billed quarterly), or $8.33/mo. (billed yearly).
- Faster processing speed
- 6,000 words on the Summarizer (compared to 1,200 for free)
- Advanced grammar rewrites
- Plagiarism Checker (up to 20 pages per month)
- Compare Modes (only on Desktop)
Online Correction is a simple online grammar and punction checking tool. It's incredibly simple to use. Just paste or write your text in the text field and click Submit. Select the highlighted text for grammar corrections and suggestions.
- Grammar and punctuation checker and corrector.
- Option to correct grammar automatically.
Online Correction is a free tool with no premium options.
Online Spellcheck is another free rudimentary online grammar and punctuation checker and corrector. Paste or type your text in the text field and click Check Text.
- Can enter a link to a document to be checked.
- Can also upload a document to be checked.
- Additionally, can upload from Google Drive.
Online Spellcheck is completely free with an option to donate.
12. Sentence Checkup
The free sentence checker and corrector provided by Sentence Checkup is another tool to help you check your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. As its name implies, this editor can correct sentences to ensure that they have the proper structure.
Thus, you can edit and improve your essays, academic papers, thesis, or blog posts promptly and efficiently by using this online editor.
Typing or pasting your text in the box and selecting your language is all it takes. There is a default of English, but you can specify British or American English, depending on your preference. Once you click on the Checkup button, you will be able to identify and correct any mistakes you might have made.
- Run-on sentences are checked and solved.
- Prevents you from writing fragments. In other words, it helps you turn your incomplete sentences into complete ones.
- A comma splice checker is included to help detect when two or more independent sentences are joined by a new comma.
- Provides thesis and poetry-checking tools to help you improve your writing in those fields.
- A paragraph checker is also available if you want to check and correct your paragraphs rather than sentences.
Sentence Checker is an online tool that is 100% free.
Paperrater is an online tool for proofreading that performs robust grammar checks for free. It can be used for any type of paper, including essays, resumes, research papers, articles, blogs, and biographies. PaperRater will find and correct all the mistakes in your writing.
This tool uses artificial intelligence technology to analyze submissions in real time and then displays the results within 5 to 15 seconds. Additionally, the paper can be checked and corrected without logging in, registering, or downloading. The process is quick and accurate at the same time.
- Its plagiarism checker displays your originality score based on the percentage of your paper that is original.
- Multiple modules, such as sentence length, passive voice, readability, etc., are checked with others on the same level.
- Provides feedback on grammar, punctuation, and spelling and suggestions for improving your writing.
- The software provides you with a score for each essay you write.
- An online dictionary that gives definitions and examples of a word.
Premium: $14.95/mo. (billed monthly) or $95.40/yr. (billed annually).
- Ad-Free experience
- Premium-Only Modules
- Faster Processing
- Plagiarism Checker Integrated into Proofreader
- File Upload (.doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf)
- Enhanced Plagiarism Checker
With Scribens, you can get a powerful grammar checker that will be able to correct 250+ common mistakes in grammar and spelling, including verbs, nouns, punctuation, typography, pronouns, prepositions, and many more.
Moreover, it can correct 10 times as many mistakes as Microsoft Word. This tool can also identify and fix even the most subtle mistakes and dramatically improve content.
- Make corrections while explaining grammar rules, improving your writing skills the more you use it.
- The Cloudflare firewall and SSL encryption ensure your data is protected and confidential.
- Check your writing for repetition, redundancies, run-on sentences, and other errors.
- Analyzes your texts in detail. It includes a readability indicator and information about words, sentences, and paragraphs.
- Ability to search the dictionary and thesaurus for definitions and synonyms.
Check your grammar and punctuation for free with Scribens, or choose one of three premium plans for Scribens Premium.
- 1 Month: €9.90
- 3 Months: €19.90
- 1 Year: €49.9
- Checks up to 200,000 characters (~50 pages)
- 2x as fast for medium and long texts.
- Extensions include Microsoft Word, Google Docs, OpenOffice, Outlook, and LibreOffice.
- Works with Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc
- Works with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
- Works with forms, forums, blogs, WordPress, etc.
- Premium version for the French language.
- Adding words to the personal dictionary.
- Backup and management of recent texts.
This online grammar and proofreading tool has lots of features. It's not just for checking your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It also helps you with your pronunciation. You can use it to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) writing and speaking.
Click the Check Grammar button after writing or pasting your texts. The system will then check for standard punctuation, grammar, spelling, and word choices. The suggestions and corrections can be found by scrolling down a little.
- Features a word counter.
- Use the vocabulary checker option to choose the right words for your field of study.
- Using the paraphrase checker, you can contrast the paraphrased and original text. Using this method, you can avoid plagiarism.
- An essay checker analyzes your paper to find and correct errors. You will also receive an essay score.
- Provides practice tests for writing academically for IELTS.
Here's the kicker. You'll get these features absolutely free and also without any membership required!
16. Grammar Lookup
Grammatical Lookup is another grammar and punctuation checker that uses artificial intelligence to detect errors in your writing.
It can quickly identify 1000s of style issues and spelling errors in your writing, including grammar and punctuation. It can also help you improve your writing.
Click on the Lookup button once you've placed your texts in the editor. The mistakes in spelling, grammar, and punctuation will then be underlined. Simply hover over the words to correct them.
- Make sure your writing is punctuated correctly and correct any misplaced punctuation.
- English dialects include British English, American English, and default English.
- The program can check any type of content, including academic papers, business proposals, and articles.
- Contains an active voice checker to ensure that the sentence is made in an active voice.
- The app comes with an essay checker that students, freelancers, and experts can use to make their papers perfect.
Grammar Lookup is completely free!
ReversoSpeller allows you to check your spelling instantly and effortlessly. When you make a mistake, it can automatically correct it. But it will depend on your confidence score and the context of your writing.
Any correction you click on will provide a full explanation and its definition. Thus, you can learn from your mistakes going forward.
- Finds and fixes grammar mistakes like the wrong verb tenses, prepositions, typos, and punctuation errors.
- By clicking a word, you can see its synonyms. That way, you can use the best one to convey your message.
- Capable of checking and correcting your English and French writing.
- You can translate the updated content into other languages by clicking on the Translate button.
- The conjugators can be viewed, learned, and used by clicking on a word and clicking the conjugator option.
There are a lot of great features in the free version. However, the premium version provides a lot more advanced features.
- Monthly: $10.99/mo.
- Annual: $5.99/mo. (billed annually at $71.88).
GrammarCheck is one of the simplest free grammar and punctuation checkers and correctors with its simple online editor.
Simply place your content in the editor and click the Free Check button to start. If there are any corrections to the style, grammar, or spelling, they will be underlined.
The suggestions and options are displayed when you click on those texts. Therefore, you can apply those corrections only if you need them; otherwise, they can be ignored.
- You can fix complex mistakes like run-on sentences with the Deep Check button.
- Detects active and passive voices.
- Offers tips and information about correcting capitalization, punctuation, and spelling.
Similar to the grammar checker above, this one is free as well.
19. Spell Check 24
You can use Spell Check 24 to check your grammar online with great speed. It is easy to use because you must paste your content and click on the Check your text button. Context-aware spell checking, advanced style checking, and intelligent grammar correction will ensure your writing is perfect.
You can find suggestions to improve your writing by clicking on the underlined errors. The recommendations can be accepted or ignored. After you've solved all errors, you'll see a success message. The interface is highly intuitive and user-friendly.
- Readability analysis
- Adapts to 20 languages and dialects of English for multilingual proofreading.
- Density analysis to find out how often the most frequently used words occur on your content by enabling word density analysis.
- A PDF can be generated instead of a printout.
- Texts can be saved to the cloud. The cloud can also be used to load content.
Premium: Same as LanguageTool (partner).
With Spell Check 24, you get access for free without registering. There are, however, some limitations. The Registered mode gives you access to some additional features. To access those features, you need to create an account.
- Print texts
- Load texts from the Cloud
- Create PDF from texts
- Save texts to the cloud
20. Slick Write
With Slick Write, a powerful, free application, you can check for potential grammar errors, stylistic mistakes, and other features of interest. No matter who you are, whether you're a blogger, novelist, SEO specialist, or student writing an essay for school, Slick Write will help improve your writing.
- Has Chrome and Firefox extensions available.
- Generates lots of statistics about your text.
- Can save and upload documents to and from the editor.
Slick Write is yet another 100% free online grammar and punctuation checker and corrector.
The program After the Deadline provides contextual spelling, advanced style checking, and intelligent grammar checking. You can use it to strengthen your writing style and keep it error-free.
The technology is open-source and can be embedded in any application. Note that the hosted service has been shut down, but the source code is still available for download.
- Explains the error to make it easier for you to understand.
- You can use spell checkers in various languages, including German, French, Spanish, etc.
- Capable of identifying misused words and suggesting alternatives.
- Supports the OpenOffice.org suite well.
After the Deadline is totally free.
Grammarly is one of the most popular writing aids today. I don't usually recommend mainstream services since there is often a better, lesser-known alternative; however, this is not the case with Grammarly.
I use Grammarly myself, and It's easy to see why they're so incredibly popular. It's hard to beat it!
ProWritingAid is also another excellent writing tool with very similar pricing and features. If you're looking for a writing aid that has it all, there isn't any need to look further than these two tools.
If you're looking for a free online grammar and punctuation checker and corrector without any strings attached, I recommend Hemingway Editor.
Do you use a different grammar and punction checking tool? Which one is your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!